Cristian Zuzunaga was born in 1978 in Barcelona. The child of a Catalan mother and a Peruvian father, his multicultural background instilled in him a strong sense of curiosity, a desire to explore the world and look at ways in which to define it and one’s place within it. From the age of 17, he lived and travelled around the world, eventually settling down in London where he has lived for the last 13 years.
Zuzunaga studied Typo/Graphic Design at the London College of Communication, followed by an MA at the Royal College of Art. Originally a student of biology, he was fascinated by the microscope and the way in which it enabled one to magnify an object to break it down into its smallest parts. Though the biological studies did not last, the practice of magnifying did and to this day, breaking down patterns and images into their infinitesimal components remains at the core of his work.
Zuzunaga’s work is broad in scope and includes print, letterpress, photography, sculpture, textile and furniture design. Rather than focusing on one form of expression, he chooses the one most appropriate to each project. He also explores the use of colour as a means to evoke emotions and counterbalance negative ways of seeing and thinking. The therapeutic values of colour have been widely documented, yet many of us still live in a world of black, white and grey. He uses colour as a spatial medium that enforces identity and encourages interaction between individuals and their surroundings.
Zuzunaga is influenced by architecture and the urban environment, Eastern and Western philosophy, alchemy, anthropology, sociology, the psychology of Carl Gustav Jung and in particular, the latter’s concept of the individuation of the soul – a process of psychological integration whereby the unconscious is brought into consciousness to be assimilated into the whole personality.
Cristian Zuzunaga now divides his time between Barcelona and London. He is currently working on a number of artistic and design-led projects and collaborations.
Exhibitions & Presentations
– Clerkenwell Design Week & DEZEEN | Talk with Marcus Friars | April
– IMM Cologne | Launch of our Furniture collection | January
– Origen exhibition. Lucia de la Puente Galeria, Lima Peru | December
– London Design Week | Textile Exhibition at Skandium | Sept
– Presentation artwork during Clerkenwell Design Week. Brintons | May
– Exhibition at A+R in Los Angeles during Design Week | June
– Exhibition at Arkitektura in San Francisco | June
– Ventura Lambrate, Milano Salone del Mobile | April
– “YCN” at 72 Rivington Street, London. Brick Installation/window installation. | October
– “SO SOTTSSASS” at Darkroom London. | September – December
– “Volta 8” at ArtBasel, Volat show for emerging artists | June
– “Outside In” exhibition. Ventura Lambrate, Milano. Zuzunaga curated and designed space | April
– “Gravity” solo show at EB&Flow Gallery in Shoreditch, London | September
– “Fraternal Twins” exhibition at Moss gallery, New York | May – June
– “Since Tomorrow” exhibition at EB&Flow Gallery in Shoreditch, London | March
– “Handmade” exhibition organized by Wallpaper magazine | Brioni House in Milano | 15th April
– “Work in Progress” exhibition | 15th – 20th of June, solo exhibition | Barcelona
– 100% Design | Presentation of Kvadrat’s collection of fabrics and cushions | Kvadrat’s showroom in London | September
– Orgatec | Furniture Fair Biennale in Cologne | Presentation of the collection of curtains designed for Kvadrat | October
– Tokyo Design Fair | Presentation of Zuzunaga as a brand | collaboration with ICEX, Spanish Embassy | November
– Significant Colour Exhibition | Shows 2 fabric panels: Aurea and Amplificatio | Aram Gallery in London | May-June
– QUADRATSQUARE | Presentation of bespoke shirts | Collaboration with designer Peter Maxwell Smith | January.
– Color Patch by Elizabeth Leriche | Trends Exhibition at Maison et Objet | Shows his 1st collection of textiles | January.
– Mytopanton Exhibition | Hessen design in Germany | 3 outfits from QUADRAT were on display | November.
– Fashion V Sport Exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum (V&A), London | An outfit from QUADRAT fashion collection is
on display | September.
– Final Show | Royal College of Art | June.
– Work in Progress Show | Royal College of Art | January.